Friday, 30th October
The South Bank Show Originals (2014–To Date)
Elizabeth Taylor (2016, S3, Ep 29)
- Friday at 5am on Sky Arts HD
Melvyn Bragg looks back on his 1992 meeting with Elizabeth Taylor, offering a fascinating insight into the real woman behind the Hollywood facade.
Chariots of Fire (1981)
- Friday at 5.05am on Sky Cinema Greats HD
In the 1924 Paris Olympics, a Jew and a Scotsman run for Britain.
While I Live (1947)
- Friday at 6am on Talking Pictures TV
A Cornish woman believes an amnesiac girl to be the reincarnation of her dead sister.
The Reckless Moment (1949)
- Friday at 7.35am on Sony Movies Action
A woman accidentally kills her daughter’s would-be seducer, and is then trailed by a blackmailer.
- Friday at 7.50am on Talking Pictures TV
A killer taunts the police with clues sent to a radio quiz show.
First Men in the Moon (1964)
- Friday at 9.15am on Sony Movies Action
A Victorian eccentric makes a voyage to the moon and is forced to stay there.
- Friday at 9.50am on TCM Movies HD
- Friday at 10.50am on TCM Movies Plus 1
Sherlock Holmes solves the mystery of a supernatural hound threatening the life of a Dartmoor baronet. 1959 Hammer version.
Robin’s Nest (1977–81)
Lost Weekend (1979, S4, Ep 3)
- Friday at 10am on Forces TV
- Friday at 7.30pm on Forces TV
Albert wins a weekend away in the Algarve, and with a little scheming turns it into a busman’s holiday for the management.
The Prisoner (1955)
- Friday at 11.20am on Sony Movies Action
- Friday at 12.20pm on Sony Movies Action
In a European totalitarian state, a cardinal is tortured and brainwashed.
Millions Like Us (1943)
- Friday at 1pm on Film4 HD
The tribulations of a family in wartime, especially of the meek daughter who goes into war work and marries an airman, who is killed.
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
- Friday at 1.30pm on TCM Movies HD
- Friday at 2.30pm on TCM Movies Plus 1
The story of the Allied defeat at Arnhem in 1944.
The Sand Pebbles (1966)
- Friday at 3pm on Sony Movies Action
- Friday at 4pm on Sony Movies Action
In 1926, an American gunboat patrolling the Yangtze river gets involved with Chinese warlords.
The Thirty-Nine Steps (1978)
- Friday at 4.45pm on Film4 HD
A spy is murdered; the man who has befriended her is suspected, but eludes the police until a chase across Scotland produces the real villains. Eager-to-please remake of the 1935 original.
Hell Drivers (1957)
- Friday at 5.50pm on Talking Pictures TV
Fast driving on death-trap roads is required of rival lorry drivers for a cheapjack haulage firm.
BFI Southbank Screenings
- The Innocents (1961)In Victorian times, a spinster governess in a lonely house finds her young charges possessed by evil demons of servants now dead.
Tuesday, 6.10pm, NFT6
Sunday, 8th November, 12.45pm, NFT2
Thursday, 12th November, 8.40pm, NFT6